The stand out information for me in week six was regarding procrastination and how we see our future selves. In “Solving the Procrastination Puzzle” Timothy Pychyl Phd explains that when we procrastinate all we are doing is giving problems to our future self and asked the question “why do we do this?”
So in studies where subjects were hooked up to fMRI’s and they were asked to think about:
- Their present self
2. A stranger
3. Their future self
It was discovered that they thought of their future self in the same way as they thought of a stranger.
So this week I have decided to make friends with my future self and some of the ways I did that was:
- I prepared a healthy take away breakfast in the evening to take to work with me next morning.
- I bought the most fabulous spring bulbs and planted them for my future self to enjoy in Spring
- I went to bed early enough to have a good sleep before the six o’clock alarm
- When I looked “at the girl in the glass” at night and said I love you – I included my past present and future self!
- I joined Professor Procrastination on twitter!
- Went for a brisk walk with work colleagues at break time – exhilarating!
- I got up early every morning did the Master Key reading and sit together with speed reading practice.
I Love this Photo!
How can you befriend your future Self today?